Improve the Health of Individuals and Communities
100% Online Coursework
- Gain-real world skills through immersive learning and two internships
- Complete 100% online coursework on your schedule
- Learn from expert faculty at a SACSCOC-accredited university
Launch or advance your career with Methodist University’s 100% online Bachelor of Science in Exercise & Sport Science. Studying online in flexible courses, you’ll build a deeper understanding of human nutrition, sport psychology, physiology, biomechanics, and more.
Request More Information
If you’d like to learn more about Methodist University’s application process, admissions requirements, tuition and financial aid or specific program details, fill out this form, and we’ll be in touch shortly.
Qualify for Top Careers in Exercise Science
Athletic Coach1 $50,550 per year
Exercise Physiologist2 $48,222 per year
Group Fitness Instructor3 $45,870 per year
Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist4 $45,380 per year
Promote Health and Wellness with Evidence-Based Practices
The exercise and sport science industry is growing at a rapid pace, and completing your 100% online BS in Exercise & Sport Science at Methodist University will help you qualify for a range of promising careers. You’ll gain hands-on learning through two internships and enter the field with practical skills and relevant knowledge.
In small class sizes led by faculty with experience in the field, you’ll complete flexible online coursework that prepares you to launch or advance in your career. Upon graduation, you’ll be eligible to pursue openings in this growing industry or seek out higher learning through graduate study.
- On average, professionals with a BS in Exercise and Sport Science earn $64,000 per year.5
- Employment of athletic coaches is expected to grow 20% by 2031, which is much faster than average.6
- Expect 65,000 new fitness trainer openings per year through 2031.7
What You’ll Learn
When you complete this program, you will be able to:
- Develop and apply appropriate listening, communication, writing, and critical thinking skills to effectively navigate future careers in a diverse world.
- Demonstrate an understanding of health, wellness, fitness, and athletic performance from a physical, psychological, and social perspective.
- Conduct health, fitness, and athletic performance assessments.
- Use the FITT principle to prescribe safe and goal directed exercise plans for athletic, healthy, and clinical populations.
- Develop an effective understanding of exercise motivation and strategies to enhance adherence to a fitness routine.
- Demonstrate understanding of the multifaceted approach needed to effectively manage a health/fitness facility.
Skills You’ll Gain
- First Aid/CPR/AED
- Human Nutrition
- Motor Learning
- Personal Training
- Physical Conditioning
- Weight Training
Ensuring Your Success Beyond Graduation
From the moment you become a student at Methodist University, you’ll have access to the support needed to obtain career readiness skills, internships, employment, and other career opportunities. And you can tap into a wide variety of career services long after you’ve graduated.
Here are just a few examples of what you can expect for career support as a student or alumnus. You can benefit from all of them remotely.
- “Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2021: 27-2022 Coaches and Scouts.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved on December 22, 2022 from “https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes272022.htm.”
- “Average Exercise Physiologist Hourly Pay.” Payscale. Retrieved on October 12, 2022, from “https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Exercise_Physiologist/Hourly_Rate.”
- “Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2021: 39-9031: Exercise Trainers and Group Fitness Instructors.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved on December 16, 2022, from “https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes399031.htm.”
- “Average Rehabilitation Specialist Hourly Pay.” Payscale. Retrieved on December 22, 2022 from “https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Rehabilitation_Specialist/Hourly_Rate.”
- “Bachelor of Science (BS/BSc), Exercise and Sport Science.” Payscale. Retrieved on October 7, 2022, from “https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Bachelor_of_Science_(BS_%2F_BSc)%2C_Exercise_%26_Sports_Science/Salary.”
- “Coaches and Scouts.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved on October 7, 2022, from “https://www.bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm.”
- “Fitness Trainers and Instructors.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved on October 7, 2022, from “https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm.”