Summer and Fall Registration is Open

Skip to content

100% Online Degrees for Active Duty, National Guard, Reserves, Veterans and Family Members

man in uniform working on laptop in library

Helping Those Who Serve Our Country

Request More Information

If you’d like to learn more about Methodist University’s application process, admissions requirements, tuition and financial aid or specific program details, fill out this form, and we’ll be in touch shortly.

The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.

Military Friendly School

Yellow Ribbon

Methodist University offers affordable, 100% online degree programs to Active Duty service members; National Guard and Reserve service members on Title 32 or Title 10, or in a satisfactory drilling status; Veterans; and their immediate family members. Recognized as a nine-time Military Friendly® School with Gold Ranking in 22-23, and located just a few miles from Fort Liberty — the largest military base in the world — we have a unique understanding of what our military-affiliated students need.

  • Lower tuition rates for military-affiliated students
  • College credit for military experience
  • Dedicated military support staff
  • Spousal benefits

We make it easy to get started and stay committed to earning your degree, even if you’re deployed.

  • Study in a flexible, online format.
  • Choose a career-focused program.
  • Take courses either part time or full time.
  • Transfer up to 93 undergraduate credits or nine graduate credits.
  • Each course is 8 weeks long.

The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.

Get Dedicated Military Support

One-to-One Support

Get Connected to Resources

Military-friendly at Methodist University isn’t just a slogan — it is how we support the military students who are on active duty, in the guard or reserve, veterans, and their families.

Our support staff has 55 years of combined service experience, and they’re committed to finding you the most affordable and effective way to earn your degree and providing the unique support our military-affiliated students need.

Here to support you one-on-one, staff in these offices are dedicated solely to military-affiliated students to help them succeed. They’ll work with you to determine eligibility for the variety of education benefits available, help you start the benefits process, apply for financial aid, and order military transcripts. They also connect you to resources to support other student needs.

The SVA helps support veterans in their transition from the military to academia and into their chosen career field through a peer-to-peer network. In partnership with community organizations such as Disabled American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Wounded Warrior Project, the SVA-MU participates in fundraising projects to assist local and national veterans.

Chi Delta Chi is the Honor Society for Veterans and Military family members — non-traditional students who have served their country and are attending MU while working full-time jobs and raising a family. Members are usually inducted in their sophomore or junior year.

For more information regarding the resources on this page, please contact Randy Smith, 910-630-7174, for more information.

Use Your Military Education Benefits

Yellow Ribbon

MyCAA Scholarship

Methodist University is committed to making your out-of-pocket expenses as low as possible and offers direct, person-to-person assistance to help you determine eligibility for the variety of programs available.

Government-Based Education Assistance

Veterans and active-duty, guard, and reserve service members, as well as their spouses and dependents, can use a variety of GI Bills to help fund their education.

You can compare benefits easily by using the GI Bill Comparison Tool and viewing current payment rates.

Forever GI Bill®

The Forever GI Bill® expands the eligibility for and the amount of education benefits provided in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® as well as the length of time veterans have to use them. See Full Details >>

Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Get help with tuition and fees, money for housing, books, and supplies. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).

If you’re a member of the Reserves who lost education benefits when the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) ended in November 2015, you may qualify to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

See Full Details >>

Montgomery GI Bill® — Active Duty

If you have served at least two years on active duty, the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for up to 36 months of education benefits. You must meet eligibility requirements in one of four categories. See Full Details >>

Montgomery GI Bill® — Selected Reserve

The Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits for members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard. If your obligation started after June 30, 1985, or for some types of training, after September 30, 1990, you may be eligible for this benefit. See Full Details >>

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is a $2-to-$1 government-match program for educational assistance. If you entered the service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, and put money into your VEAP account before April 1, 1987, you may be able to continue your education by using part of your military pay to help cover the cost of school. See Full Details >>

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E; Chapter 31)

Formerly referred to as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, this program helps you explore employment options and addresses training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits. See Full Details >>

Designed by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, this program aims for the VA and degree-granting institutions to pay the difference between what is covered by GI Bill® benefits and the total cost of the program. The Yellow Ribbon Scholarship is automatically applied if your tuition costs exceed the maximum state cap for tuition reimbursement and if you are qualified for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® at the 100% rate. It does not apply for active-duty personnel, their spouses, or veterans receiving less than 100% of the benefit.

Methodist University will contribute 50% of the difference between the net tuition of the qualified student and the annual chapter 33 cap if needed to the Yellow Ribbon Program.

See Full Details >>

DoD Tuition Assistance (DoD TA)

Eligible military students may use state or federal TA to cover tuition, up to $250 per credit hour.

Visit your service branch for more information:

Note: Some military sites have advanced security options and you may need to accept their security certificate before the site will load.

North Carolina National Guard Tuition Assistance Program (NCTAP)

The North Carolina National Guard Tuition Assistance Program (NCTAP) provides tuition assistance for active members of the North Carolina Army or Air National Guard. See Full Details >>

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

The MyCAA program provides up to $4,000 (over two years) of financial assistance for military spouses who are continuing their education by pursuing a license, certification, or associate degree in a portable career field and occupation. See Full Details >>

Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits

If you’re a qualified service member, you can transfer all 36 months or a portion of your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to a spouse or child. The DoD approves a transfer of benefits. Learn about transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)

If you’re the child or spouse of a veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has a disability, you may be able to receive between 36 and 45 months of benefits to pay for school or job training through the DEA program — also called Chapter 35. See Full Details >>

For more information regarding the GI Bill or Tuition Assistance benefits, contact Randy Smith, director of veteran services, at or at 910.630.7174.

Save Time and Money


Transfer Credits

Methodist University offers a reduced tuition rate, a Military Scholarship, and has military-friendly policies. You can save additional time and money earning your degree by transferring credits and applying for scholarships.

Reduced Tuition

Tuition for active-duty and reserve component military students is $250 per credit hour for undergraduate programs, versus $400 per credit hour for traditional online students.

The MU Match Military Appreciation Scholarship

Active-duty military students who have used all 16 credit hours of their DoD TA during the fiscal year and need financial assistance to attend additional classes are eligible to receive up to nine credit hours (no more than one course per term) while attending MU.

Military-Friendly Policies

Methodist University allows service members and reservists to be readmitted to a program if they are temporarily unable to attend class or have to suspend their studies due to unanticipated service requirements, and we will take additional steps to accommodate short absences due to service obligations, provided that satisfactory academic progress is being made by the service members and reservists prior to suspending their studies. Communication between the military student, Instructor, Registrar and Office of Veteran Services and/or MU’s Fort Liberty Office is important and necessary to ensure punitive actions are not taken.

For help in identifying and using your military benefits, contact Randy Smith, director of veteran services, at or at 910.630.7174.

Transfer previous college credits and earn credit for your military service or career experience so you can save time and money earning your degree.

  • Undergraduate Degrees: You could transfer up to 93 credit hours between previous college experience and credit for your military career.
  • Graduate Degree: You may transfer a maximum of nine credit hours.

See CLEP and Advanced Placement Credit Guidelines

Order Your Military Transcripts

Scholarship Opportunities

To shorten your search time, we’ve curated a list of scholarships and scholarship search sites that apply to active military, veterans, and their family members. The list is not meant to be all-encompassing and you should seek additional sources as you’re able.

The ASA offers three scholarship programs to active duty, veterans, and dependent family members. See Full Details >>

We’ve found the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs has an impressive list of more than 50 military scholarships. While some are state-specific, much of this list contains national scholarships available to veterans, active military, or their dependents or spouses. You can learn more about the scholarships, their eligibility requirements, and award amounts here.

Active-duty military, veterans, and their families can find scholarship opportunities with the following organizations.

Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA)

Paralyzed Veterans of America is proud to offer funds to PVA members and their immediate family members through our Educational Scholarship Program. You need to be a PVA member, the spouse of a member, or an unmarried, dependant child to be eligible. See Details and Application >>

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

The VFW’s “Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship” provides active military and veterans with the financial assistance they need to complete their educational goals with a scholarship award of up to $5,000. See Details and Application >>

There are a number of federally based scholarship programs designed to meet the needs of the spouses and families of veterans. In addition to the list here, please also review the additional scholarship opportunities on this page.

Fry Scholarship

If you’re the child or surviving spouse of a service member who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, or a member of the Selected Reserve who died from a service-connected disability on or after the same date, you may qualify for the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) which grants you up to 36 months of benefits including money for tuition, housing, books, and supplies. Learn more about the Fry Scholarship

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

If you are a child of a U.S. military service member who died due to military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11, you may be eligible for this federal grant which awards between $5,983.34 and $6,495 depending upon your eligibility. See Full Details >>

Veterans United Foundation Scholarships

If you are a surviving spouse or child of a deceased service member from a service-related death or of a veteran with a 100% service-connected disability, you could be eligible for a $2,000 scholarship from the Veterans United Foundation. See Details and Application >>

We’ve made a good-faith effort to curate a shortlist of free, external scholarship search sites.* Many times, simply searching on the “military” or “veterans” categories on these sites can bring up a list of additional resources.

U.S. Department of Labor

Search more than 7,500 scholarships, fellowships, grants, and other financial aid award opportunities with their free scholarship search tool.

An ad-free, open-access scholarship search engine that does not require registration. They list more than 20,00 award programs offering more than $85 million in funding. Search now.


Unigo offers a number of ways to search for a scholarship and facilitates matching your profile to scholarship opportunities. If you’re not ready to set up a profile, you can still search through thousands of scholarships using their category filters. Search their categories now.


An independent education organization, UniversityHQ provides students with the necessary resources to prepare and plan their career path in their chosen field. You can search for scholarships, financial aid, grants, and loans here.

*Please note that these are not our sites, and we are not responsible for the content on them. We do not represent or warrant that information contained on the linked pages is complete or accurate and always suggest you verify the information before you act upon it. You can use the Federal Trade Commission’s Scams page to educate and protect yourself and your family.

Additional Military Resources

Find quick connection points to the military resources you are most likely to need.

Veterans Administration

Familiarize yourself with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Find a VA location, learn more about benefits and health care, and access your records.

Quick Links:

More Links of Interest

Methodist University is Military Friendly®

Methodist University has once again been named a Military Friendly® School, earning the prestigious “Gold-Level” ranking for the 2022-23 school year. We have also earned recognition as a Military Friendly® Spouse School (2021-22) and Military Times has awarded us their 2023 Best for Vets designation.

Military Friendly School Gold Ranking 2022-2023

Military Friendly® School

Military Friendly Spouse School 2021-2022

Military Friendly® Spouse School

Best for Vets Colleges, 2023 Military Times

Best for Vets

Online, Military-Friendly Degree Options

Career-ready undergraduate and graduate programs are available in both full- and part-time formats and offer multiple start dates throughout the year.

Undergraduate Programs

Whether you’re a one-term enlistment service member who’s exiting the military, a non-commissioned officer seeking advancement, or a military spouse pursuing a portable or high-demand field, we are sure to have a career-focused degree that serves your needs. Undergraduate programs accept up to 93 transfer credits.

Graduate Programs

Enlisted personnel and non-commissioned officers who have a bachelor’s degree, commissioned officers, Department of Defense civilians or Veterans Administration employees, and military family members can enroll in one of the most beneficial degrees in the market now. Online graduate degree programs accept up to nine transfer credits.

Learn More About the Programs Listed

View Programs Now

Frequently Asked Questions

Have other questions not answered here? Request more information or call 910-212-4956.

Yes! Methodist University is proud to be a Yellow Ribbon school.

You can apply for grants, scholarships, and federal financial aid. See the Save Time & Money tab above for the many options available.

You can also apply for student federal aid: Methodist University’s federal school code is 002946.

Yes, if you provide documentation that you are eligible for the benefit, and that you have applied. However, only the Department of Veteran Affairs can determine eligibility for VA benefits. We are only estimating what they will pay. You will be responsible for any amount of your debt VA has determined they will not pay for. If you are unsure, wait until your COE is mailed to you.

As long as you have an internet connection and can commit to the time it takes to complete coursework, you can continue your program. Keep in mind that some courses have fieldwork experiences that need to be completed alongside classes. If you think deployment will interfere with those requirements, you can speak with a program manager directly at (855) 474-8222 or to answer your questions.

Yes, you can. We are required to report the net tuition cost to the VA after applying grants, scholarships, discounts, etc. that apply to tuition. The balance is what VA will pay under Chapter 33.

No. You will not receive a W-2 from the VA and benefits paid under any law administered by VA should not be reported as income to the IRS.

You don’t. The Yellow Ribbon is part of the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and is automatically applied if your tuition costs exceed the maximum state cap for tuition reimbursement and if you are qualified for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® at the 100% rate.

Go to the VA’s education application page and follow their instructions.

If you are a veteran, use the Find a Form link, search and complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits. You will be mailed a COE in approximately eight weeks.

To access your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), please sign in to your account. Once you log in to your account, you can make this request. You will only be able to view the benefit if you were awarded educational benefits.

  1. Apply online
    • Students must be accepted and enrolled in a degree-seeking program at MU to use VA Benefits. VA Benefits cannot be used by students enrolled as “special student”.
  2. Work with a dedicated enrollment counselor to determine and submit what is needed for your program from the following:
    • Official (final) high school transcripts or GED results
    • SAT or ACT scores (if under 21 years old at time of enrollment or less than 31 s.h. of transferable course work)
    • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
    • Official military transcripts to be evaluated for academic credit. Official copies are available at the following sites:
    • CLEP scores. College Level Examination Program tests are free for active-duty service members through your Education Center. Contact for more information. This is a very important tool to evaluate knowledge gained outside a traditional classroom. Click here for a list of tests accepted by MU.
  3. Contact the Methodist University Office of Veterans Services (MU Veteran Services) at 910-630-7174 to decide on your degree plan. Educational benefits can only be used for courses required by your degree plan.
    • The MU Veteran Services will need :
      • Chapter 30/33: Certificate of Eligibility OR VA Form 22-1990/1995 AND DD-214
      • Chapter 1606/1607: Certificate of Eligibility OR VA Form 22-1990/1995 AND DD-214 AND Notification of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
      • Chapter 35: VA File Number AND Certificate of Eligibility OR VA Form 22-5490/5495 AND Disability Rating Letter
      • Chapter 31: DD-214 AND VA Form 28-1905
      • TOE: Certificate of Eligibility OR VA Form 22-1990E AND Transferability Authorization
  4. Read, sign, and date the MU Requirements for VA Benefits Form — you can obtain a copy from the office of Veteran Services.
  5. To be certified, submit a copy of your schedule, request for certification, and academic checklist from your advisor for your major or audit.
    • Please Note: Any changes made to your schedule after certification will affect your benefits. Chapter 33 recipients will receive a VA Benefits Statement to supply the Office of Student Accounts.
  6. Other documentation may be required by MU Veteran Services depending on the educational benefit.

All necessary paperwork must be completed and submitted to MU Veteran Services in order for processing to begin.

You cannot be certified for Veterans Education Benefits for the following:

  • Courses not required for your VA-approved, academic program (major).
  • Courses for which you received transfer credit.
  • Courses for which you received a passing grade.
  • Courses taken for audit.
  • Courses taken on a pass-fail or A-P-F basis.

MU Veteran Services will send the documentation for additional processing to the Regional Processing Office (RPO) which may take 60-90 days.

Timeline for processing of benefits:

  • Application to certification of eligibility: 8-10 weeks
  • Submission of Request for Certification to book payment: 8-10 weeks
  • Earliest book payment to student: 12 days prior to the start of term
  • Earliest tuition payment to school — billed after add/drop: 30-60 days
  • Payment released by VA to credit student account: 15-20 days from the date the VA releases the funds to MU

Request and provide an official copy of your JST or CCAF transcript during the admissions process along with your prior college transcripts and high school transcripts so they can be evaluated.

You can order your transcripts using the appropriate military branch link below. Please note that you will likely be prompted to manually accept the DoD’s security certificates.

We offer many accommodations for deployed military service members. You can call (910) 630-7174 or find more information here.

Please contact Randy Smith, director of veteran services, at or at 910.630.7174.

You can also visit

It is possible. If you’re authorized to use more than one GI Bill® benefit you’re allowed to use up to 48 months of benefits, but one at a time. If you have used up your entire chapter 30 and have never used a different chapter (31, 32, 34, 35, 1606, or 1607) you could be eligible for an additional 12 months if you have not reached your delimiting date.

Methodist University offers various educational benefits to help military service members pay for their education. Our Office of Veteran Services is here to assist active-duty personnel, veterans, and their dependents receive various educational benefits. Methodist University also supports the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Additionally, our dedicated admission team can be contacted directly at (855) 474-8222 or to answer your questions.